How to install Songbird on Fedora
Songbird is a web browser/ media player and a lot more. It is from Mozilla so it has to be one of the best. Although it is not yet released officially, we can take a sneek peek of Songbird. This HOWTO will guide you through the installation steps required to get Songbird running.
Applicable to Fedora Versions
For Songbird requirements, please refer to Songbird Requirements page.
Doing the work
In this HowTo we would be installing Songbird version 0.4
All we have to do to install Songbird is download the .tar.gz file from the nightly builds and untar it, install any required add-ons and place it into /opt (your choice) and then create a symbolic link in the /usr/bin folder. So, lets get started.
- Download the file from Songbird's site. At the time of publishing of this document, the file can be obtained from http://developer.songbirdnest.com/
- Download it with Firefox and let's save it your home drive (~/).
- Once the download completes open terminal and type
cd ~This is assuming you downloaded it to in your home folder, otherwise just cd to the folder you downloaded it in.
tar xvfz Songbird_0.4_linux-i686.tar.gzYour filename may vary, so change the filename accordingly.
- Once the command above completes, do the following in the terminal
cd Songbird/Again, you folder name may vary, so if you get an error do a ls and check for the folder name.
- Once you are inside the folder, type the following and hit enter
- Now Songbird will start. It will check for some updates/add ons, like it prompted me that it needs to download additional files to support iPod. Install those addons if you need them. Now close Songbird and return to the terminal.
- Now lets move Songbird folder to /opt/
mv ~/Songbird /opt/Songbird
- Now lets create a symbolic link in the /usr/bin folder
su -c 'sudo ln -s /opt/Songbird/songbird /usr/bin/songbird'
- Now lets create a menu entry
su -c 'nano /usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop' In the file copy/paste the following content [Desktop Entry] Name=Songbird Comment=Songbird Media Player Exec=songbird Icon=songbird.png Terminal=0 Type=Application Encoding=UTF-8 Categories=Audio/Video;
- Now download the icon file below and place it in '/usr/share/pixmaps' folder.
- Restart X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, if you want to see the menu entry for Songbird.
- Songbird is at the following location in the gnome-menu
Applications --> Soung & Video --> Songbird
We test this stuff on our own machines, really we do. But you may run into problems, if you do, come to #fedora on irc.freenode.net