FAS VoIP HowTo
This HowTo explains how to use your free SIP account on Fedora; using ekiga.
Applicable to Fedora Versions
- Fedora 8
- Fedora 9
- Fedora 10
- Install Ekiga, in case it is not installed.
- Get a FAS account. Follow the steps at: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/
Doing the Work
Basic description of what will be done and what is expected.
- Prior to configuring Ekiga you will need to login to your FAS account at: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/
- Select the VoIP option from the left side menu options.
- Next to VoIP Settings select (edit).
- Next to Active:, select Enabled to enable your SIP Account.
- In the Password section enter your desired password. NOTE: Your Asterisk password needs to be numeric only and should not match your Fedora Password. You will use this password to log in to asterisk not your normal user account password.
- Once those settings are made select Save!
- Log out of the FAS system.
- Install ekiga:
- In the upper menu bar select Applications > Internet > IP Telephony, VOIP and Video Conferencing.
- Follow the prompts of the first time configuration asistant. NOTE: It is not a requirement to setup an account with the Ekiga Free Server.
- Open Edit>Accounts
- Click on "+ Add"
- Enter your info accordingly:
su -c 'yum install ekiga'
This should take care of the account setup. Now, you can be reached at <your username>@fedoraproject.org. You can also get voice mail and talk to other Fedorans.
How to test
We test this stuff on our own machines, really we do. But you may run into problems, if you do, come to #fedora on irc.freenode.net