Installing and running AIGLX on Fedora
This how to will take you through the steps to install Aiglx using the Nvidia drivers version 1.0.9626.
Single Release template to be used for posting how-to's.
Applicable to Fedora Versions
- Fedora Core 6
- You will need to have installed the Livna Repository.
- You will also need an Nvidia card capable of using the driver version 1.0.9626 or later.
Doing the Work
- You will need to install the nvidia drivers from the Livna Repository.
- Once that is installed you will also need to install gconf-editor as follows
- You will then need to edit metacity to enable the compositing manager
- You will then need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so it shows the changes in the Device and Extensions sections.
Once that has occurred the following command in the console.
- You should then click ok and Compiz should be working
su -c 'yum install kmod-nvidia'
su -c 'yum install gconf-editor'
su -c 'gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true'
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86configYou will need to either restart your X server using ctl + alt + backspace or restart your computer
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod" ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules" EndSection Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "us" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Videocard0" Driver "nvidia"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Viewport 0 0
Option "Composite" "Enable"
How to test
- You test it by running the command
- Then switch to different terminals to see the screen rotate like a cube.
Common problems and fixes
If you can't find desktop-effects it means that compiz isn't installed
To install it run the following command in the console.
su -c 'yum install compiz'
We test this stuff on our own machines, really we do. But you may run into problems, if you do, come to #fedora on irc.freenode.net